Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Favorite Jazz Vocalist: Gregory Porter

Gregory Porter is one of the most talented singer / songwriters you haven't heard, yet. It's OK though, he's only been releasing albums for a couple years. You have time to change the error of your ways. But he's facing an uphill battle right now by making music that actually is good and lyrics that mean something.

His debut album, Water, came out in 2010. And I remember hearing a track off it called Illusion and instantly having this huge connection to it.


And it's not like I'm the only one out there appreciating his work. He's been receiving nothing but excellent reviews from within the Jazz scene. Porter paints with his lyrical poetry. And when I listen to some of his songs, it feels like I'm stepping inside of a memory and wandering around. And this is a dimension that is completely missing in popular music.

Really, this is the type of artistry that you're not going to get from an American idol winner. He's not just a talented vocalist with a soulful, hypnotic timbre; Gregory actually has something to say. It's like he stepped out of a time machine, from when people actually had personality, to give us some of that magic, once more. And while I can't speak for everyone, I really needed it and am thankful for his work. This is real music; this is what should be on your iPod. 

Just allow yourself to just let go of the programmed / marketed conceptions of what mass produced, generic sounds and lyrics "speak" to you. I know your parents took your skateboard away, that you just want to get bitches and be king of the slums; I know that you want to slay the dark wizard, scream about how life is unfair, let her know how much she broke your heart, growl evil sounds over diminished / minor, distorted dyads, or have a good time drinking beer and driving around pickup trucks, but make some room for Gregory Porter, and you won't regret it.

Now, I'll leave you with one of his newer songs that I really enjoyed called Painted on Canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment